Main Title

Phone Icon

Motability FAQs.

Am I eligible to join the Motability Scheme?


To join the Motability Scheme, you must be in receipt of one of the following allowances:


• Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA)


• Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)


• War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement (WPMS) • Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP).


For more information head to the Motability Eligibility Checker.


What age can I receive the Motability allowance?


The higher Rate Mobility Component (HRMC) of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA) can be awarded from the third birthday of the disabled person. It is possible to apply for the allowance before that date as long as the eligibility criteria is met, the award will start from when the disabled person turns three. If a child under three has had the allowance confirmed, an application can be made up to three months before their third birthday.


Who is affected by the rollout of Personal Independence Payment?


PIP, the new benefit introduced by the Government, will replace DLA for disabled people aged between 16-64, even if you currently have an ‘indefinite’ or ‘lifetime’ award. Disabled children will continue to receive DLA until they reach the age of 16. DLA will also continue to be available for those aged 65 or over on 8 April 2013. If you receive the War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement or Armed Forces Independence Payment, you will not be affected by this new allowance. DLA recipients can use the PIP checker at to see if PIP affects them. You can also find out how PIP will affect your eligibility to the Motability Scheme as a customer.


Can I take a test drive?


We strongly recommend that you take a test drive. Even if you are not the driver, we recommend that you try getting in and out of the car, test the seating and ensure there is plenty of space for yourself and any equipment before placing an order with the dealer.


Test drives can be arranged with Kyle, your Motability Specialist at Town Centre Automobiles. It may be possible to arrange an extended test drive with your Motability specialist to help you make the right choice.


Can I change my nominated drivers?


You can change the permitted drivers shown on the Certificate of Motor Insurance by contacting RSA Motability (RSAM). All proposed drivers will be subject to the Scheme’s policies on who can drive your car and must also meet RSAM’s eligibility criteria regardless of whether they are added at application or during your lease. In order to consider your request, RSAM will need details of the new driver, including driving licence number, motoring convictions and any previous loss, damage or insurance claims in the past five years. In addition, the proposed driver must be able to speak to RSAM when you call so they can give consent for their details to be checked with the DVLA. Don’t forget that only drivers listed under the permitted drivers section of your Certificate of Motor Insurance are covered to drive your Motability car.


Do I own the car at the end of the lease?


No, as you are on a leasing scheme, ownership of the vehicle remains with Motability Operations. At the end of your agreement you will have three options:


• Lease another car through the Motability Scheme


• You may be able to keep your current car longer by extending your lease


• Return your car and have your allowance reinstated You will need to have at least 12 months remaining on your allowance when you apply.

Contact Us.

Find Us

Ferryboat Lane,

Make Enquiry.

Please submit any enquiry you may have.

Leave this field empty